John W. Wright
Education and Professional Affiliations
B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering and Metallurgy, Texas A&M University; Registered Professional Engineer, Texas;
Professional Societies: SPE, IADC & API
John Wright Company: President and Blowout Engineering Advisor 1989 - Present. John Wright formed John Wright Company in August 1989 to provide blowout control engineering design, specialist personnel and related special services to the oil and gas industry specifically for relief wells and underground blowouts. John Wright has designed and supervised dozens of relief well and borehole intersection projects around the world. He was instrumental in pioneering blowout control contingency planning, developing procedures for special services and response organizations and introducing a comprehensive "Well Control Management System". John Wright co-founded Well Flow Dynamics in December 1991 to provide hydraulic two-phase transient kill simulations with Olga Well-Kill for blowouts as well as other drilling and production operations. He managed the field operations of Vector Magnetics Inc., a casing detection firm in 1991 and 1992. In 1994 and 1995 he combined forces with Boots & Coots L.P., an oil well firefighting firm, forming Wright Boots & Coots Engineering. As of January 1996 the John Wright Company is again operating independent of all firefighting companies.
Eastman Christensen: Manager, Relief Well Operations, 1986 - 1989. Responsible for the technical design and operations of Eastman Christensen's Relief Well Team in the execution of seven relief well projects during this time period. Pioneered methodologies using electro-magnetic ranging technology for borehole intersections.
Manager, Technical Services, 1985 - 1986. Supervised surveying, drilling tools, computers and technical procedures for worldwide operations.
Surveying Product Manager, 1983 - 1985. World wide survey market. New tool development, survey accuracy quantification, training and quality assurance. Received "Presidents Award" for field introduction of Seeker Gyro in 1983.
Technical Services Application Engineer, 1981 to 1983. Introduced the first commercial rate gyro surveying system.
Schlumberger Offshore Services: Offshore Field Logging Engineer, 1979 - 1981.
- Wright, J.W., Roes, V.C., Hartmann, R.A. "Makarem-1 Relief Well Planning and Drilling", SPE 49059, presented at the 1998 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans.
- Flak, L. H., Wright, J. W., & Ely, J. W.: "Part 1 Blowout Control: Response, Intervention and ManagementStrategy and Planning", World Oil (November 1993), p.p. 71-78.
- Flak, L. H., Wright, J. W., & Tuppen, J. A: "Part 2 Blowout Control: Response, Intervention and ManagementLogistics", World Oil (December 1993), p.p. 55-61.
- Wright, J. W., Woodruff, J. W., & Thompson, D.: "Part 4 Blowout Control: Response, Intervention and ManagementContingency Plans", World Oil (March 1994), p.p. 53-56.
- Rygg, O. B., Smestad P., & Wright J. W.: "Part 5 Blowout Control: Response, Intervention and ManagementHydraulic Simulations", World Oil (April 1994).
- Flak, L. H. & Wright, J. W.: "Part 11 Blowout Control: Response, Intervention and Management Relief Wells", World Oil (December 1994), p.p. 59-64.
- Flak, L. H. & Wright, J. W.: "Part 12 Blowout Control: Response, Intervention and Management Incident Management", World Oil (April 1995), p.p. 105 - 112.
- Wright, J. W.: "Relief Well Technology Can Solve Ordinary Problems", Oil & Gas Journal, (January 18, 1993), p.p. 30-33.
- Rygg, O.B., Smestad, P. & Wright J.: "Dynamic Two-Phase Flow Simulator: A Powerful Tool for Blowout and Relief Well Kill Analysis", SPE 24578, 1992.
- Wright, J. W.: "Blowout Intervention Preparedness Through Relief Well Contingency Planning", presented at IADC European Well Control Conference, (June 1991).
- Wright, J. W., Thompson, B. G., Zachary, M. B., Leraand, Frode: "Relief-Well Planning and Drilling for a North Sea Underground Blowout", Journal of Petroleum Technology, (March 1992), p.p. 266-273.
- Voisin, J., Quiroz, G. A., Wright, J. W., Pounds, R., Bierman, K.: "Relief Well Planning and Drilling for SLB-5-4X Blowout, paper SPE 16677 presented at the 1987 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Dallas, Sept. 27-30.
- Wright, J. W.: "Directional Drilling Azimuth Reference Systems", SPE17212, (February 1988).
- Wright, J. W.: "Rate Gyro Surveying of Wellbores in the Rocky Mountains", SPE 11841, (May 1983).
- Wright, J. W.: "New Generation Survey System Using Gyrocompassing Techniques", SPE 11169, (September 1982).